JOURNEY TO JAH – THE FILM (official theatrical trailer 2014)
COMING TO GERMAN & SWISS CINEMAS ON 20th MARCH 2014 !!
- DirectorNoël Dernesch, Moritz Springer
- Production CompanyPort au Prince
- ProducerRené Römert, Jan Krüger
- Co-Production CompanyPixiu Films
- Co-ProducerLaurin Merz
- Executive Producer Karol Martesko-Fenster
- Associate ProducersOliver Rihs, Melanie Möglich, Noël Dernesch
- ScriptMoritz Springer, Noël Dernesch
- Director of PhotographyMarcus Winterbauer
- Additional CameraSimon Guy Fässler, Felix Leiberg
- EditorMichelle Barbin, Christoph Senn
- MusicBeat Solèr
- Sound DesignPatrick Böhler
- PostproductionSLGH Berlin, Christian Wegehenkel
- ColoristBenedikt Hugendubel
- Sound MixMichael Kaczmarek
- Mix StudioK13
The two directors Noël Dernesch and Moritz Springer, as well as cameraman Marcus Winterbauer (Rhythm is it), spent seven years shadowing two unique reggae artists – the German GENTLEMAN and Italian ALBOROSIE – on their search for authenticity away from western consumerist societies in the land of Rastafari and reggae: JAMAICA.
People they meet along the way include RICHIE STEPHENS, DAMIAN MARLEY and also NATTY – driver and friend of Gentleman, who offers them an uncluttered look into the daily struggle for survival, far removed from the picture-book image of the Caribbean island. Professor CAROLYN COOPER provides a contrasting intellectual insight into Jamaican politics and culture, while reggae stalwart JACK RADICS reveals some astonishing truths.
Finally, Dernesch and Springer run across upcoming Jamaican singer TERRY LYNN and follow her everyday life walking the streets of the ghettos of Kingston and also inside Berlin’s club scene.
Together with the protagonists we delve into a world where music is used as an outlet to confront poverty, criminality and a lack of prospects, but also one that is characterized by a deep and uplifting spiritual bond. A world about which Alborosie says, “God lives here. But Satan too.“ Welcome aboard the JOURNEY TO JAH!
JOURNEY TO JAH is a German-Swiss co-production from PORT AU PRINCE FILM & KULTUR PRODUKTION and PIXIU FILMS in cooperation with Karol Martesko-Fenster of THOUGHT ENGINE.